Tuesday, November 10, 2009

grateful

grateful to be home after spending the warmest days of fall looking into the parking lot from a 9th story hospital window, wishing we were being reassured by the warmth of the sun instead of an oxygen monitor.

grateful that my little ethan is peacefully sleeping in his bouncy seat strategically placed next to my foot so I can stare at him every other second instead of being in a lethargic state of awareness on a makeshift hospital bed with my head strategically placed next to his foot and my finger grasped by his hand in case he made any sort of movement so I would know.


grateful for a mother who arouses in the middle of the night to accompany you on one of the most scariest trips ever with NO questions asked. and then takes care of your other two children for the next 36 hours so you can travel without socks and stinky breath to get the best medical care ever. that makes it so worth it. even if you still feel the need to request that your husband brings you your makeup bag (along with some comfy socks) the next day just so a few hours of sleep in a few days can manage to look a little more appealing. you are grateful. trust me.


and grateful to have just happened to have read mckmama's post "I feel so lonesome I could cry" the night before so that when you are staring at the lights of the city with just your baby in your arms and no one else to talk to to tell you everything is going to be okay, you remember things could be so much worse. but they aren't.


but more than anything, I am so grateful that my little bubba is a healthy 13 pounds at 6 weeks old so he was strong enough to fight off any infection that came his way and didn't even have to be hooked to an IV because the boy, well, he knows how to eat.

thank you, thank you to everyone that was praying for him and thinking of him and wishing him a fast recovery. (and if you did not know, that is why I am sharing this with you now, and perhaps you can keep him in your thoughts as he recovers)

and I am so thankful for the amazing care at Devos Children's hospital (even the care they give to a breastfeeding mama...hello chocolate cake. and an electric breast pump. jeah.) because when your tiny baby (and yes he is still tiny to me) has a wicked high fever and trouble breathing and ends up in the ER in the middle of the night and they tell you they want to take him by ambulance to another hospital? well all you can do is be thankful that he was healthy enough to begin with so he can be strong through all of the poking and pricking and x-rays (which also meant we could drive ourselves instead without having to have the IV). because you know you are going to end up with the best medical care possible as you drive through the fog in disbelief that it is not just all a bad dream. and that is even more reassuring than the sun beginning to rise.


grateful. it has a whole new meaning for me.





I've got a tough little guy on my hands. and a lot of good people that surround him.
and I am grateful for that.

4 comments:

Katie said...

We are thinking of you guys and so thankful that everyone is home recovering! Prayers to some of our sweetest, most beautiful friends!!! Love and hugs!

Anonymous said...

Oh Missy!! What can I say, but that the tears were streaming down my face when I read this. It is written so beautifully, and we are so grateful that Ethan fought off the infection and is getting better each day. I love all of you so very much and would do anything for you and your family, but I think you already know that. (Your father had a hard time holding back the tears too when I read this to him.) Mom & Dad (P.S. I think you should be writing books...you are an amazing author!!!)

ErinDoobs said...

OMG, Missy, soooooooo glad to hear Ethan w/b ok. i had tears just reading your post. wow... praying for ethan and all of you! sending so many hugs your way!!! <3

PS We must get our babies together in December or January, ok?? you know, before they are driving and stuff! =)

missy widener said...

thank you everyone! ethan is doing much better, just a little cough and congestion but still smiling away! and yes erin, before ethan can bench press little Q! definitely whenever you are in town let me know!
and mom, do you see what having grandkids has done to you?? you are big pile of emotional mush. oh wait, you were already that before...but I love it.